Monday, December 25

Wired - December 1996

Whilst waiting for the Turkey to cook and for the family to arise, I was wondering what to do. Looking around the living room and the book cases and listening to an old radio show on Radio 4 Extra, I spotted my small collection of Wired magazines.

The first issue I have was publised in 1995, the last is 2000. The first December issue in my collection is for 1996, so here are some things that were 'cool' at Christmas in 1996:

1. Avocet Vertech Alpine wrist watch with that essential built in altimeter for mountain climbers.

2. The Tribal prototype snowboard/skateboard crossover, this had 3 wheels inline with spaces in-between to stand on.

3. Kodak Ektachrome film (advert) - cameras still used film. I think I bought my first digital camera a few years later.

4. Motorola Microtac 8700 mobile phone (advert) - Ah those were the days. Motorola were still a major digital electronics company.

5. Iomega Zip Drive (advert) - 100 megabytes on one floppy disc sized magnetic disc. Mind blowing!

6. Nintendo 64 to be launched in March 1997 - article suggesting it is the PC of the future. LOL.

7. Jargon Watch - COUA (Compulsive Use Of Acronyms) - Get it?
I might try using that one at work.

8 Swiss bank notes include counterfeit proof technology with microtext, watermarks and optical variable ink.

9. Swatch (advert) - Swiss anwser to the growing digital cultural. Cheap fashionable plastic watches.

10. Sega (advert) - Sega games now available on PC CD-ROM discs.


No comments: