Friday, July 30

Cycling news

The London cycle hire scheme has started up and here is a video that explains how it works:
(The original video that I embedded has been removed by London Transport, this AlJazeera report is probably the best alternative):



I think it would be good to have a scheme like it in Portsmouth. I think a big issue might be vandalism we'll have to see how it goes. Watching the video suggests they have thought about everything and even the design of the bikes take into account the sort of use/abuse they might have.

Also this week, news that Velocity cycle shop in Portsmouth are moving to Cosham to bigger premises. That's good for Waterlooville folk since it is closer to home.
Also more cycle paths are cropping up around Waterlooville, I am losing track of them now!
Given the limited space, I guess the council are doing a good job, but it would be nice to see some real dedicated cycle paths in any new developments, with priority to cyclists.

No comments: